Victim / Witness Assistance
Advocate: one who pleads the cause of another, or who supports the interests of another.
The Victim/Witness Assistance Program of the Chillicothe Municipal Court is here to aid you through the court process. The Municipal Court helps victims of misdemeanor crimes in Chillicothe and Ross County and also aids federal crime victims. Developed in 1994, the Victim/Witness Assistance Program has a fulltime advocate who is funded through the VOCA/SVAA grants from the Ohio Attorney General Office.
If you are a crime victim, an advocate will:
- Explain the court process from arraignment through the hearing phases.
- Be your liaison in the court process by listening to your needs and concerns, supporting your views to the law director, and making sure you receive information during and after the court procedures.
- Be a court escort.
- Provide aid in obtaining a Temporary Protection Order when necessary.
- Give references to other law and social service agencies.
- Aid you with completing the Ohio Victims of Crime Compensation Fund paperwork when necessary.
- Explain the VINE victim notification system.
If you are a witness who is subpoenaed by the law director's office, the advocate will aid you with:
- Explanations of the court process.
- Support with testimony procedures.
An advocate can be your voice in a court to help guide you through a case, inform you of your rights, and keep you aware of the court proceedings.
The Victim/Witness Advocate can refer you to other agencies or organization that may help you if you are in need of counseling, shelter, or other physical/emotional needs.
You have a right to be assisted by a victim advocate. No victim is excluded from advocate services based on their actual or perceived sex, age, immigration status, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, mental health condition, criminal record, work in the sex industry, or age/sex of their children.
We care and we are here to help! Please call Toni DeVelin at 740-773-3515, extension 131.
Ross County Coalition Against Domestic Violence: 740-775-5396
Crisis Center: 740-773-4357
Scioto Paint Valley Mental Health Center: 740-775-1260